Palaces of Miodowa - Warsaw
Once famous for its gingerbread shops and a representative of royal Warsaw street later on.
Palaces of Miodowa is Best For
Directions to Palaces of Miodowa
On Miodowa you may notice a long white neoclassical building - this, Collegium Nobilium, was founded as a college for the aristocratic elite in the 18th century.
Another grand structure with an elegantly tree-planted courtyard is the Borch Palace, House of the Archbishops of Warsaw. Pope John Paul II stayed here during his pilgrimage to Poland.
The very geometrical Pac Palace, with its sweeping towers of arches and neoclassical design, was built in the 16th century for Prince Dominik Mikolaj Radziwill. During the Prussian occupation of the early 19th century it was used as a theatre and a military barracks. It was bought in 1825 by General Ludwik Michal Pac, who redesigned it to a more classical form. The general took part in the November Uprising of 1831, in reprisal for which his entire fortune and property were seized by the government. The building became a seat of the Gubernator, then housed the District Court. Now it houses the ministry of health.
Mlodziejowski Palace, on ul. Miodowa, 17C, with many famous and influential owners.
From 1820 housed the entrepreneur's club, then shops and bookstores, then a rent house by the end of the 19C, after the war became seat of Scientific Publishing PWN, renovations currently underway to convert palace into residential apartments.
Confiscated from owner Franciszek Salezy Potocki by the communist government in 1945, will soon be returned to Potocki's heirs.
Also on Miodowa is the Church of the Transfiguration (Kosciol Przemienienia Panskiego), erected 17th century in thanksgiving for victory at Vienna, has two royal sarcophagi: the heart of Jan III Sobieski and the internal organs of Augustus II the Strong, other famous and influential people buried in the crypts, including Bernardo Bellotto (whose paintings hang in the royal castle).
Continue on to Plac Krasinskich, Palac Krasinskich (17th century), Ogrod Krasinskich.
There is Supreme Court, on the other side Pałac Mostowskich.